The Institute for Race IAS is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal and confidential information we collect from members of our community. Other than as required by law or as disclosed in this Statement, personal information is not shared with outside parties.
WHAT WE COLLECT
- Information You Provide to IAS Through our Websites or Direct Communications. We collect the information that you provide directly to us through the use of our websites. This may include our online application for membership and UpdateMe. In addition, we collect any information you may provide in the course of direct communication with IAS administration and staff. The information we collect may include:
- Your name, gender, title, date of birth, address, telephone and other contact information.
- Names and contact information of family members (for emergencies and other legitimate purposes).
- Vehicle information, such as make, model, year and license number.
- Your nationality, social security number (or similar identifier).
- Academic and professional credentials.
- Information about your health and health benefits.
- Your field of research or scholarship with IAS.
- Information necessary for tax or other financial transactions with you, such as bank account or payment card information.
- Information We Get From Third-Party Sources. In the pursuit of our operations, we may receive information about you from third-party sources, such as your home or other institutions, public or social media, or from letters of recommendation that are provided on your behalf. This information may be associated with other information we collect about you, outlined in this section.
- Technical Information About Your Use of our Websites and Applications. During your use of our websites, applications and network resources, we may collect technical information such as your computer’s IP address, your geographic location, the web pages you request, the time of your requests, and the type of operating system or browser you are using. This information is used solely for network monitoring and troubleshooting, and is not associated with individual identities.
USE OF INFORMATION
- Conducting our Operations and Administering our Institute. Information you have provided is used to support many decisions and processes throughout your affiliation with IAS. These legitimate interests include, but are not limited to, the consideration of your application, the provisioning of services and campus resources, supporting your academic, research or other activities at IAS, paying you under grants, stipends or other forms of compensation or effecting other financial transactions, managing your health benefits, generally managing of your relationship with IAS, alerting you about safety and security, providing you with information we believe may be of interest to you, requesting gifts and donations or meeting the requirements of our accreditors.
- We also use your information to comply with our legal obligations, under tax, benefits, immigration, criminal and other laws, and to keep our web sites secure and prevent fraud or other abuse.
- We do not use your information for any automated decision-making processes.
- Use and disclosure of your protected health information is governed by a separate notice of privacy practices with respect to that sort of information.
These purposes give us legal grounds to collect and use your personal data.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
- We DO NOT sell, trade or otherwise transfer your personal information to outside parties for marketing, sales, or other commercial purposes.
- We DO NOT transfer, store or process your personal information outside the United States.
- We DO share information with our employees, officers, and trusted third parties who assist us in our operations. This includes considering your application or your research, providing all the services we make available to our members and providing benefits. These third parties may provide data storage, processing, backup and business resumption services.
- We DO require third parties to agree to keep this information confidential, take adequate precautions in regard to its security, and comply with applicable laws. A list of those parties whom we utilize may be acquired through correspondence with the contact listed in CONTACT INFORMATION below.
- We MAY ALSO release or share your information as we believe appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our policies, or protect our or others rights, property, or safety.
- Personal Data Being Processed for Legitimate Interests. We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to support the legitimate interests identified above, while taking into account your rights.
- Personal Data Provided Based on Your Consent. We will also retain your personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the activity or provide the services to which you consented. Certain laws may give you the right, in certain circumstances, to have your personal information erased.
- Applicable Laws. Applicable laws or regulations may also obligate us to retain certain information for specific periods, which may be longer than we would otherwise need that information.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will use reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personal information or unauthorized access to it. Where appropriate, we will contract with third parties to do so.
- Please be aware that while visiting our web site, visitors may follow links to other sites that are beyond our control or influence. We are not responsible for the content, security, safety or privacy policies of these other web sites.
- You must understand that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guaranty the security of data sent that way.
- You are responsible for keeping all your log-in credentials (user names, passwords, etc.) confidential.
We may update this Statement from time to time by publishing a new version on our website. You should check our web site occasionally to ensure you understand any changes to this Statement. We also may notify you of changes to this Statement by email